22 ways to Enjoy the "Little things" in life!
They say when people are on their death bed and looking back over their lives and their achievements become significantly less important than their regrets.
As I write this, and you read this, I am hopeful that we all have many years before we make this life realization for ourselves. However, my goal is that we all can learn from those before us, apply their wisdom and when our time is up we will have nothing left to regret!
We are all human! We strive to be the best providers that we can be, face our challenges, pursue our education and chase our dreams but at what cost? We miss the life going on around us. That time and those moments are irreplaceable! Our kids grow up. Time apart or disconnected from those important to us can cause our relationships to become strained and ultimately we are all just get older.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying to quit your job and ignore your personal and/or financial obligations. I am simply reiterating the age-old adage that says, "Enjoy the little things." Essentially, we all need to stop and smell the roses because, like Ferris Bueller said, "Life is too short. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."
The truth is, life is about experiences. The sensations that we embrace when we experience the subtleties of life. They don’t need to be expensive or extravagant, you just need to be “present” or “in the moment” to truly recognize them.
Here are some quick ideas on how to “Enjoy the little things in life”. You can do them by yourself, with friends or with your significant other. These suggestions are not challenging and often seem so simple that they are commonly overlooked in our busy lives but it has been my personal experience, and the wisdom of those before me, that if you take the time to do them your life will ultimately be more fulfilled.
1. Take a walk.
2. Watch the sunrise.
3. Watch a sunset
4. Have a picnic in the park.
5. Go on a day trip to a place you’ve never been.
6. Call an old friend on the phone
7. Send an old friend a letter.
8. Volunteer in your community.
9. Unplug your phone or device and give your significant other your UNDIVIDED attention.
10. Sing at Karaoke (No matter how good or bad you are)
11. Take a bubble bath (Add 2 drops of Lavender oil for extra relaxation)
12. Cut a fresh orange and smell the peel.
13. Listen to the sound of birds chirping.
14. Go to a local coffee shop and sit and enjoy a cup of your favorite blend.
15. Go to Yoga or the gym with your friend.
16. Go to a bed & breakfast.
17. Listen to your favorite record from start to finish.
18. Take pictures
19. Bake a pie
20. Take a cooking class.
21. Make an elegant dinner for someone special.
22. Read a classic novel.
Feel free to add to your personal list but I think these are a good start.
- Dr. M